Saturday, October 13, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #8: Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey


This is a meme where the designer, photographer and/or illustrator of a favorite cover is featured is hosted by A Night's Dream of Books. I loved the idea since I always want to read a book when the cover is gorgeous. Bad habit, I know!
---------------------------

Title: Kushiel's Chosen
Author: Jacqueline Carey
Series: Phèdre's Trilogy #2, Kushiel's Universe #2, Kushiel's Legacy #2
Publisher: Tor Books
Published Date: April 6th 2002
Pages: 700 (Hardcover)

Synopsis:

"In the novel, the journey of famed anguissette, Phèdre nó Delaunay brings her all the way to Caerdicca Unitas, chasing after the path of the infamous traitor of Terre d'Ange, Melisande Shahrizai. Even still, the curse of her one true friend, Hyacinthe, haunts her. She has a long way to go if she will ever have the chance to free him from the curse that should have been hers. It is all she can do to keep madness at bay and try to stay one step ahead of Melisande." - Wikipedia


Cover Artist: John Jude Palencar

"John Jude Palencar (born 1957 in Fairview Park, Ohio) is a fantasy, science fiction, and horror artist. Over 100 book covers have been adorned by his art, including all four covers of the Inheritance Cycle series by Christopher Paolini. He graduated from the Columbus College of Art and Design in 1980." -Wikipedia

BiographyWebsite




I just love the cover of this book. It's beautiful and not like the usual covers I lust after. The cover is also tied to the story, since that's a back view of the the protagonist, Phèdre. And I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but there's a dress like the one she's wearing mentioned in the story.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lis!

    WOW. What an AMAZING cover!! The tattoo is fascinating! And that skin-tight dress! Well, I tell you, I wish I had that figure...lol.

    The woman really stands out against the rather ominous-looking background. And are those black ribbons, fluttering in some strange breeze? Because it looks as if she's in some sort of weird temple or something. There shouldn't be a breeze, I think; she appears to be in a closed-up chamber. Very, very intriguing! I was reminded of a temple because she's wearing a short, black veil. And she's been 'chosen'. Needless to say, I want to find out more!! On to the ol' TBR pile this one goes!!

    Thank you so much for participating in this meme!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't the type of cover that I would normally be drawn to instantly but it does have a lot of interesting aspects when looking closer.

    I like your blog design too :)

    ReplyDelete