Friday, January 18, 2013

Review: ICED by Karen Marie Moning

Title: ICED
Series: Dani O'Malley #1, Fever #6
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Pub. Date: October 30,  2012
Publisher:  Delacorte Press

Blurb:  
What if you knew when someone was going to die?
The year is 1 AWC—After the Wall Crash. The Fae are free and hunting us. It’s a war zone out there, and no two days are alike. I’m Dani O’Malley, the chaos-filled streets of Dublin are my home, and there’s no place I’d rather be. 

Dani “Mega” O’Malley plays by her own set of rules—and in a world overrun by Dark Fae, her biggest rule is: Do what it takes to survive. Possessing rare talents and the all-powerful Sword of Light, Dani is more than equipped for the task. In fact, she’s one of the rare humans who can defend themselves against the Unseelie. But now, amid the pandemonium, her greatest gifts have turned into serious liabilities.

Dani’s ex–best friend, MacKayla Lane, wants her dead, the terrifying Unseelie princes have put a price on her head, and Inspector Jayne, the head of the police force, is after her sword and will stop at nothing to get it. What’s more, people are being mysteriously frozen to death all over the city, encased on the spot in sub-zero, icy tableaux. 

When Dublin’s most seductive nightclub gets blanketed in hoarfrost, Dani finds herself at the mercy of Ryodan, the club’s ruthless, immortal owner. He needs her quick wit and exceptional skill to figure out what’s freezing Fae and humans dead in their tracks—and Ryodan will do anything to ensure her compliance.

Dodging bullets, fangs, and fists, Dani must strike treacherous bargains and make desperate alliances to save her beloved Dublin—before everything and everyone in it gets iced.

Book:
Goodreads AmazonBarnes & Noble

Author:
WebsiteFacebookTwitter

My Thoughts

I really love Karen Marie Moning's writing style. It grabs me from the first word and doesn't let go of me until the very last one in the book. And even then, it leaves me craving for more. So once I found out about Iced, I was anxiously awaiting for it to be released.

I'll be honest and say that at first, I was kind of worried. Dani's speech pattern does get old and annoying if exposed to it for long periods of time and her scenes in the previous Fever books did drive me a bit to the edge. I mean, just how many times does "Dude" need to be said in one page? I was also worried about her age. The reason I love KMM's Fever series is because they are adult books and things are called by their names, lust, physical attraction...You get the idea. But since Dani is a fourteen year old teenager, albeit one that has gone through a lot, I was afraid we would be getting something YA like and the unnecessary, senseless drama a lot of books within that category have. Luckily, this was not the case and I enjoyed this book almost as much as the Mac books.

Why do I say almost? Well, for starters, I was, again, worried about Dani being that young. I know it might sound somewhat prudish, but this hindered a bit of my enjoyment for the first few pages because I kept thinking some of the situations might be too adult for a girl who has basically just turned fourteen years old. But only a few...

Also, I do not believe in keeping it all in the family, if you know what I mean. *wink* So, Ryo will never be able to surpass my Barrons because of his...er... actions in Iced. I was grinding my teeth every time he bossed Dani around and kept getting into her business when he should be worrying more about what he was doing. I liked bossy and possessive in Barrons, but on him I got the feeling/vibe of "Red alert! Get away from him as fast as you can!" I couldn't help it. Not that Christian was any better in the moments his... new, impulsive self, won over his... older, less impulsive one.

I also had a bit of a problem with the way Mac was portrayed in the club scene. Did she fall and hit her head? That was not the Mac I remember. We all know what she planned to do when she thought... You Fever lovers know what I mean. But I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and think something bigger is at hand. Something that is always the case with Karen Marie Moning's stories. And yes, I know that Dani is the main now and she has to shine more. *sigh*

But at the end of it all KMM's writing won the battle. The book has the same addicting, entertaining, and intriguing qualities as the other books I've read written by her. It also does not lack in the character department. I liked the Crimson Hag and can't wait to know more about the creature.

Also, questions and more questions kept piling up on top of each other, like "Why is Mac being followed?", "What is happening to Dani?", "How does she do THAT?", "Just who is Dancer?", "Will Christian stay as he is or will he be "cured"?", "what the heck happened with Lani?" (She's acting very creepy. *shudders*), among others. I know these won't be answered until they need to be addressed and not a moment before. I believe this is what makes her stories so hard to put down and keep me going back for more. I will definitely read the next book in the series.

P.S. I love LOR. My rating is 4 out of 5.

*I am not affiliated to Amazon, B&N, or the Book Depository.  

No comments:

Post a Comment